Job Vacancy: Job title: Senior Technical Advisor, Laboratory Services
Job description: FHI360/NIGERIA
Position Title: Senior Technical Advisor, Laboratory Services
Location: Akwa Ibom State
Supervisor: Associate Director, Laboratory Services
The Senior Technical Advisor-Laboratory services leads the development and successful implementation of project workplans and achievement of targets and deliverables. Provides technical, management and financial leadership to projects. Leads communications, coordination, and reporting with partners for projects. Provides technical assistance to strengthen laboratory systems including point-of-care services. Oversees planning, conducting, and reporting laboratory audits. Supervises and provides technical guidance and mentorship to staff. S/he will provide support to PRs/SRs in specific target states to improve the quality of laboratory services available in health facilities in line with National guidelines.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Provide technical leadership and technical support related to the laboratory services and management component of HIV/AIDS care and treatment in the designated zones for the Nigeria bilateral project.
- Coordinate the design, planning and implementation of the laboratory component of HIV/AIDS care and treatment, including ART, in collaboration with state and community level project clinical staff, laboratory specialists and state and local agencies in Nigeria.
- Provides technical and programmatic expertise in diagnostics, quality management systems, SLMTA/SLIPTA and other laboratory standards.
- Leads the development and facilitation of training to diagnostic facilities and reports on the effectiveness of such training.
- Oversees conduct of assessments to diagnostic facilities and lead the follow-up of corrective and preventive actions and quality improvement initiatives.
- Oversees internal audits and accreditation activities and other quality control functions/ activities, in collaboration with the state team, of the labs, including quality control inspections schedules and the collection of quality control records; ensure the availability of high-quality documentation.
- Develop quality control and quality assurance systems in collaboration with existing personnel and systems and ensures related documentation, training and monitoring Review and monitor QA and QC activities of the Laboratory to determine conformance with established policies, national regulations, and accreditation requirements.
- Leads efforts to prepare laboratories for accreditation locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally recognized accreditation bodies.
- Leads implementation and monitoring efforts that enhance diagnostic components such as specimen referral, supply chain, equipment management, expansion of point-of-care diagnostic services, Quality Management System, biosafety, and biosecurity.
- Leads the development and successful implementation of project workplans and budgets.
- Supervises and provides technical guidance and mentorship to staff for laboratory services at the designated states of activity implementation and other settings as appropriate.
- Liaises with external stakeholders and partners.
- Manages and monitors systems, services, and staff to achieve project goals.
- Supports and oversees the preparation of timely and accurate technical and financial reports including budgets.
- Leads or supports business development efforts relating to diagnostics.
- Develop lessons learned from activities related to laboratory services and management for HIV/AIDS care and treatment and apply these lessons to improve both existing programs and the design of new programs Remain informed on new findings in the field of laboratory technology that relate to HIV/AIDS, OI, malaria care and treatment by reviewing current literature, and draw implications from research for program activities.
- Develops concept papers, abstracts, manuscripts and research papers to improve and or extend existing laboratory activities.
- Support the Associate Director in managing the FHI 360 Laboratory Services Department, defining strategies, goals, objectives and working plan, and monitoring their implementation.
- Supervise and mentor other FHI360 lab staff both at the state and field level to improve and maintain high standards of performance in all their local laboratory activities.
- Play a key role in facilitating and maintaining complex collaborative lab programs with international partners Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Comprehensive knowledge of concepts, practices, and procedures with clinical laboratory functions and quality management systems for labs.
- Knowledge of health and development programs in developing countries in general and Nigeria specifically
- Experience in the management of laboratory services, particularly health facility-based services, including quality assurance systems, laboratory analysis, and interpretation and reporting techniques based on best practices, quality management practices and safe work practices.
- Excellent working knowledge of laboratory equipment and techniques for the following categories of assays: HIV rapid and confirmatory testing, CD4/CD8, HIV viral load, HIV DNA qualitative test, HIV viral resistance (genotype and phenotype)
- Good working knowledge of laboratory equipment and techniques for the microscopic identification and culturing of different TB species, and drug resistance tuberculosis (MDR-TB)
- Knowledge of District Health Information System (DHIS) and Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) is required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including presentation and training skills.
- Ability to work well with others and develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, project collaborators, subcontractors and consultants.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills. And the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines.
- Strong knowledge of national and international regulations with quality assurance, laboratory standards and guidelines.
- Knowledge of USAID and PEPFAR funded programs.
- Supervisory or management experience required.
- Must be able to work independently, and as part of a management team.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the social, political and ethical issues surrounding HIV infections.
- Ability to represent FHI360 to donors, government officials and the NGO community.
- Ability to manage and complete numerous tasks with a high degree of organization and meet deadlines with strong attention to consistency, detail, and quality.
- Prior work experience in a non- governmental organization (NGO).
- Familiarity with the Nigerian public sector health system and NGOs and CBOs is highly desirable.
- Well-developed computer skills
- Ability to travel within Nigeria 25% time.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Master’s degree in medical laboratory sciences, with 7 to 9 years of relevant experience
- Or doctorate degree in laboratory sciences, with 5 to 7 years of relevant experience
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a laboratory setting of which 3 must be on an HIV laboratory management donor-funded program.
- Certification/license to practice as a medical laboratory scientist is required.
FHI 360 is committed to provide a safe environment for all employees, beneficiaries and anyone contracted by FHI 360. This Includes taking measures to protecting vulnerable people from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (SEA) by either FHI 360 employees or associated personnel. FHI 360 abides by child safeguarding principles. FHI 360’s Safeguarding Policies apply and flow out to all FHI 360 staff, board members, volunteers, and partner staff (subcontractors, consultants, vendors, and sub-recipients), regardless of the funding mechanism or amount of contract, agreement, or purchase order.
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 is an whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
Our values and commitments to safeguarding: FHI 360 is committed to preventing any type of abuse, exploitation and harassment in our work environments and programs, including sexual abuse, exploitation and harassment. FHI 360 takes steps to safeguard the welfare of everyone who engages with our organization and programs and requires that all personnel, including staff members and volunteers, share this commitment and sign our code of conduct. All offers of employment will be subject to appropriate screening checks, including reference, criminal record and terrorism finance checks. FHI 360 also participates in the Inter-Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme (MDS), facilitated by the Steering Committee for Humanitarian Response. In line with the MDS, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any substantiated findings of sexual abuse, exploitation and/or harassment during the applicant’s tenure with previous employers. By applying, job applicants confirm their understanding of these recruitment procedures and consent to these screening checks.
FHI 360 will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a , professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.
Location: Uyo, Akwa Ibom State
Job date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 01:44:07 GMT
Apply for the job now!