A 26-year-old lady, Rukayat Shittu, has been declared the winner of the Kwara State House of Assembly election.
She contested under the banner of the ruling All Progressives Congress.
The Independent National Electoral Commission’s returning officer, Professor Hakeem Ijaya, while announcing the assembly election, said Shittu polled 7,521 votes to beat her Peoples Democratic Party rival who polled 6,957 votes.
Here are five things to know about Shittu
1. The 26-year-old attended Baptist LGA Primary School and later to Government Day Secondary School in Oku-Ire in Ilorin; and then to Kwara State College of Islamic and Legal Studies where she obtained a diploma in Mass Communication and Islamic Studies.
2. Shittu hails from Manyan in the Onire District of Kwara State. Prior to her election, her village had never represented her constituency politically.
3. She graduated from the National Open University of Nigeria. During her undergraduate days, she was a students representative.
4. Shittu was the first female Senate President of the Congress of Open University of Nigeria, and Publicity Secretary for a pro-democracy group, Kwara Must Change.
5. With her election, the 26-year-old lady will be representing Owode/Onire Constituency in the Kwara State House of Assembly.
Share your story or advertise with us: Whatsapp: +2347068606071 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org