Job Vacancy: Job title: REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST – Seed Certification Protocol Consultant
Job description: REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
CONSULTANCY SERVICES: Seed Certification Protocol Consultant
FINANCING AGREEMENT REFERENCE: IFAD GRANT NUMBER – 2000002865
PROJECT ID No. PJ- 002860
This request for expression of interest follows the general procurement procedures for this project issued under the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) as part of her contributions to Agricultural transformation in Nigerian federal states and Togolese regions towards achieving Zero Hunger.
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) under the Agricultural Transformation in Nigeria’s Federal States and Togolese Regions towards achieving Zero Hunger Project funded by the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), in collaboration with the Ministry of Agriculture Livestock and Rural Development (MAEDR) in Togo is embarking on a crucial initiative to establish a seed certification protocol for cassava, yam, and sweet potato. This project aims to enhance the quality control and certification processes, ultimately contributing to improved agricultural practices and Zero Hunger in Togo.
Objective and Scope of Work
The Consultancy will involve three principal activities:
· Development of Seed certification protocol for Cassava, yam, and sweet potato: January – February, 2024
· Training of certification and Extension Officers and Launch of Cassava Seed Certification seed protocol for Togo: February – April, 2024
· Backstop the setup of seed demonstration farm for cassava in Plateau and Maritime regions: May-June- 2024
Roles of Consultant
The task will be undertaken by a consultant with skills for the following:
Development of Seed Certification Protocol (January – February):
a. Prepare separate seed certification protocol for Cassava, yam, and sweet potato for Togo in collaboration with the Zero hunger project Cassava focal point from the Institut togolais de recherche agronomique (ITRA), Ministry of Agriculture Livestock and Eueal Development, (MAEDR), representative of seed certification body in Togo and Nigeria. This will start remotely and another physical engagement with the team in Togo to produce the first draft
b. Send the first draft of the seed certification protocol for the 3 crops- 22 days after starting.
c. Present the draft of the 3 crops- 25 days after starting to IITA selected staff and selected stakeholders in Togo for inputs.
d. Produce final copies of the manual for the 3 crops and translate them to French for final review 30 days after starting.
Training and Launch of Cassava Seed Certification (February – April)
· Conduct training sessions for certification and extension officers in Togo.
· Facilitate the launch of the Seed Certification protocol for the 3 crops in Togo.
Backstopping the Setup of Seed Demonstration Farm (May – June):
· Provide support for the establishment of a seed demonstration farm for cassava in the Plateau and Maritime regions.
Please check the link below for further details on the requirements and mode of applications:
Required Qualifications and Expertise
- At least PhD degree or equivalent in one or more of the following disciplines: agriculture science; agronomy, crop protection, agricultural economics, or other related fields with proven and demonstrated experience in similar consultancy.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Minimum 8 years of plant breeding (especially for cassava, yam, and sweet potatoes) and seed certification process engagement for developing countries.
- Demonstrated experience in formulating social policies, and designing and implementing training manuals.
- Proven ability to write policy briefs, research papers, articles, technical reports and documents
- Track record of successful delivery of high-level expert advice to governments and international organizations;
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team and have the initiative to work independently to meet deadlines.
- Good communication skills
- Excellent Analytical skills
- Ability to work with a multi-cultural environment and team
Budget and Payment Schedule:
Kindly indicate your budget in the application. Travels and Accommodation authorized by the project lead for this task outside Nigeria will be paid for by the project.
Location: Ibadan, Oyo State
Job date: Sun, 07 Jan 2024 23:19:55 GMT
Apply for the job now!