Job Vacancy: Job title: NIGERIA – Deputy Country Director for Programs (M/F) – Maiduguri
- Job number: SRH05584
- Status: Employee
- Position: Missions
- Country: Nigeria
- Contract Type: Short term contract
Desired start date: ASAP
Duration of the mission: 12 months
SOLIDARITES INTERNATIONAL (SI) is an international humanitarian aid association which, since more than 40 years, has been providing assistance to populations affected by armed conflicts and natural disasters by meeting their basic needs for food, water and shelter. Particularly committed to the fight against diseases linked to unsafe water, the leading cause of death in the world, SI’s interventions provide expertise in the field of access to drinking water, sanitation and hygiene promotion, but also in the essential area of food security and livelihoods. Present in some twenty countries, the SI teams – 2500 people in total, made up of expatriates, national staff, permanent staff at HQ, and a few volunteers – intervene with professionalism and commitment while respecting cultural norms.
About the mission
Solidarites International launched its operation in Nigeria in 2016 as a consequence of the humanitarian needs of displaced populations and host communities caused by the current crisis with conflict and the ongoing violence in the North-East of Nigeria led by Armed Opposition Groups since 2009. The security situation and epidemics/outbreaks continue to affect millions of lives in Northeastern and North Western parts of Nigeria. As of June 2022, according to IOM Displacement Tracking Matrix, an estimated 2.2 million people are displaced within Borno State which remains, for a major part, inaccessible to humanitarian actors.
The targeted sectors of intervention are WASH, Shelter, RRM, Food Security & Livelihoods. The annual budget of the mission is around 8.3 million euros in 2022.
The mission is organized with a coordination office in Maiduguri and 3 bases located in Ngala, Dikwa and Monguno managed remotely from Maiduguri for the North-East. In the North-West, Solidarites International is conducting activities on 3 bases located in Gusau, Anka and Taleta in Zamfara State. Abuja is the representative for the mission Nigeria.
About the job
In close collaboration with the Country Director (CD), the DCD’s prime objectives are to provide leadership and management of the strategic programming, overseeing the strengthening of SI’s programme development, quality and accountability. The DCD ensures the internal coherence between program activities and is responsible for ensuring that programs are driven by needs, based on evidence, adaptable to contextual changes and conflict sensitive, monitored closely and resourced appropriately.
- Strategic Direction
- Donor, Grant, Relationship management and representation
- Program Development & Quality Management – MEAL Coordination
- Institutional knowledge building
- Personnel management
Priorities for the 2/3 first months
- Follow up on the proposal to be submitted early 2024.
- Follow-up on ongoing implementation projects.
- Develop and strengthen partnerships with NGO and INGO based on the recommendations of the consultant and Desk Program manager following their visits late 2023.
- Ensure the Strategic orientation are followed and taken into consideration in the programmatic development.
- Ensure a proper Coordination set up between the different components of the program department (MEAL, Technical expertise), and in link with the Grant Department.
- Facilitate the programmatic outlook at mid-term goal, to make propositions to the Country Director.
- Master’s degree in humanitarian/development studies, social sciences, management or other related discipline.
- Minimum 4 years overseas experience working with an international humanitarian/development NGO, with significant program, team and financial management experience.
- Minimum 2 years in a similar position.
- Experience of working and managing security in highly volatile security contexts
- Experience in monitoring activities remotely
- Proven management ability, including ability to motivate and develop skills of team’s members. Must be able to make sound management decisions in difficult situations and also be able to work in a participatory manner with colleagues.
- Previous experience and achievements in managing a consortium and strong partnerships with other NGOs (MoUs, negotiations, governance…).
- Proven ability to deal with donors and operational partners.
- Proven ability to develop adapted humanitarian vision and strategy.
- Technical knowledge in SI sectors of expertise (WASH, FSL, Shelter) is an asset.
- Experience working with SI (or a similar organization) is an asset.
- Prior experience in Nigeria would be considered as an asset.
Technical skills and knowledge:
- Strong knowledge of donors’ policies and guidelines
- Strong knowledge of the project cycle management
- Strong knowledge of principled-based approaches and advocacy skills
- Excellent communication, networking skills, organizational and prioritization skills, ability to multi-task
- Excellent reporting and writing skills
- Capacity to adapt and show organizational flexibility
- Capacity to engage and manage technical staff and curiosity towards their expertise
- Cross cultural sensitivity and great team player
- Mature and solid leadership
- Fluent English is a must
- Computer literacy with very good command of MS Office
Soft skills and spirit:
- Respect for safety/security rules.
- Stress management skills: the ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines, with peaks of heavy workload.
- Team player, capacity to give a positive dynamic to a young team whilst being fully part of the base’s management team.
- Commitment to the fundamental principles of SI’s charter and ethics.
- Fully fluent English: speaking, reading, and writing skills.
SI will offer you
A salaried position:
According to experience, starting from EUR 3080 gross per month (2800 base salary + 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) and a monthly Per Diem of USD 600.
SI also covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate’s country of origin and the place of assignment.
Breaks: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of 7 working days every three months (with a USD 850 break allowance, allocated by Sl). To these breaks periods, SI grants one (1) additional rest day per month worked.
Insurance package: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which refunds all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
The DCD is based in Maiduguri, where all the coordination team is located.
In Maiduguri the base offers a comfortable environment, in spite of limited movements outside of the compound for security reasons. The Guest House offers good living conditions, with private bedroom and bathroom and shared and comfortable common spaces. Electricity and internet are always available at the office and at the GH. Volleyball and badminton court, ping pong, and some gym equipment are available in the GH. All essential good (food, hygiene etc..) can be bought locally in the small shops around the office, or in the pre-validated supermarket. There is a good social life in Maiduguri. Visits to other NGOs are possible, as well as some pre-validated places City Star restaurant, Pinnacle Hotel, Red Roof, ICRC Lezzy Lizard bar.
Occasional trips to Abuja remain essential to assist the CD in partners relationship and representation, as well as periodic field visit in NW, and NE sub bases, to ensure a correct program overview.
Life in Abuja is comfortable and safe. Abuja has good markets, good international schools, high standard medical services, comfortable and safe housing.
Do you recognize yourself in this description? If yes, please send us your CV and cover letter!
Please note that CV-only applications will not be considered, and that the vacancy may close before the deadline.
Thank you for your understanding.
To learn more about Sl:
Solidarités International (SI) est déterminé à prévenir et à combattre tout type d’abus – tout acte d’exploitation, d’abus et/ou de harcèlement sexuels (SEAH) à l’encontre des membres des communautés bénéficiaires ou de ses collaborateurs et collaboratrices, atteinte aux personnes et/ou aux biens, fraude, corruption, conflit d’intérêt non déclaré, financement d’activités portant atteinte aux droits de l’homme – qui pourrait être perpétré dans le cadre de ses interventions. SI applique une tolérance zéro à l’égard de tout type d’abus, particulièrement des actes de SEAH.
Solidarités International est un employeur équitable qui combat toute forme de discrimination. SI ne demandera jamais une rétribution quelconque en vue de participer à un processus de recrutement.
Solidarités International (SI) is determined to prevent and fight all type of abuse – all act of exploitation, abuse and/or sexual harassment (SEAH) against members of beneficiary communities or collaborators, fraud, corruption, violation of persons and/or property, funding of activities harmful to human rights – that could be perpetrated in the frame of its interventions. SI implements a zero-tolerance policy regarding acts of abuse, notably acts of SEAH.
Solidarités International is an equitable employer committed to find all forms of discrimination. SI will ever ask for any remuneration to take part in a recruitment process.
Location: Maiduguri, Borno State
Job date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 23:56:20 GMT
Apply for the job now!