Job Vacancy: Job title: Consultant for Diagostic Study
Job description: Company Description
Our client is a non-profit organization that promotes environmental sustainability and responsible natural resources management. Our work focuses on natural resources, water and sanitation, climate change and agriculture.
Our client is implementing the Empower to Lead Project (Empowering Rural Mining Communities to Lead Their Development Pathways) to put rural Nigerian communities most affected by extractive projects at the center of solutions through building effective rural host community leaders and networks for equitable benefits, secured livelihoods, and inclusive decision-making in the interest of the communities.
The project will deploy a Sustainable Locally-Led Development (SLLD) approach to impact 10 rural communities most affected by extractive projects in 2 North Central States of Nigeria, namely Benue, and Kogi States.
The SLLD approach will be used to strengthen rural indigenous community actors (leaders, local organizations) and build local capacity to be at the centre of (a) effectively identifying, reporting, and advocating against illegal and unregulated mining, (b) fully participating in inclusive decision-making that leverages their collective power to shape decisions that affect their land and rights, and (c) making win-win negotiations and agreements that promote equitable share of benefits, compensation, and infrastructure to benefit the community. Ultimately, the project communities will be placed on a pathway to sustainability of livelihoods and environmental, economic, and social justice. To achieve the objectives, the project will support the communities with training and capacity building, stakeholders’ dialogues, and technical assistance.
Our client requires the services of a Consultant with in-depth knowledge of the SLLD approach to conduct a diagnostic study of 10 selected mining communities in Benue and Kogi states, comprising of needs assessment, identification and deep dive into the systemic constraints, root causes, and project priority setting. Our client realizes that local leadership and ownership are essential for fostering development.
Therefore, target local communities will be at the centre of the study.
Under this scope of work, the consultant shall perform, but not be limited to these specific tasks below:
- Familiarise with the project proposal and relevant literature to conduct a desk review on the mining communities in Benue and Kogi states.
- Identify communities in each state where the study will be undertaken based on secondary data and deploy research tools in selected communities
- Identify community stakeholders; leaders, organizations, CBOs etc
- Conduct primary data gathering in the selected communities – 5 communities in each state
- Lead data analysis and report writing
- Ensure timely execution of research activities in line with the research work plan
- Desk-review report: A synthesis report of the desk research on Benue and Kogi mining communities including recommendations on communities to include in the study
- Study protocol: Based on the SLLD approach, develop a study protocol before the community engagement
- Data collection instruments: The approved set of questions for the survey, case studies, KII and FGDs, as required, are pre-tested, well-understood, and deployed according to timelines
- Draft narrative report: A report synthesising all feedback from the presentation of findings and analysis as well as the desk review is compiled and shared for feedback
- Final report and presentation: A final narrative report incorporating the feedback from the draft report and a PowerPoint presentation summarising the narrative report is shared
- A minimum of a Master’s Degree in natural or social sciences or a relevant discipline with 5 years’ experience.
- An in-dept knowledge and understanding of the SLLD approach
- Experience applying the SLLD approach
- Strong qualitative and quantitative data analysis skills using STATA/SPSS, Excel etc
- Strong presentation skills
- Demonstrable communication and report-writing skills
- Strong competency in written English Language
- Strong knowledge and application of data quality tools and approaches
- Ability to manage short-term assignments including scope and timelines
Applications should consist of:
- Cover letter and CV/Resume
- A technical proposal and workplan which highlights how the study would be completed.
- A separate page with the financial proposal.
Location: Abuja, FCT
Job date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 23:31:32 GMT
Apply for the job now!