WASHINGTON — Former President Donald Trump received a federal grand jury subpoena this spring for sensitive documents the government believed he retained after his departure from the White House, a source familiar with the document confirmed to NBC News.
Conservative Journalist John Solomon first reported Thursday afternoon that Trump was sent the subpoena months before the FBI searched his Mar-a-Lago home in Florida earlier this week. The source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said the subpoena was related to documents that Trump’s legal team discussed with Justice Department officials at a previously reported meeting in June.
Those officials were “coming down to retrieve the documents that were being requested” in the subpoena, the source said.
Citing “two sources briefed on the classified documents” sought in the subpoena, the New York Times reported Thursday that federal officials were prompted to conduct the search of Mar-a-Lago because the material was particularly sensitive to national security.