US leader, Donald Trump and his personal doctor have denied rumors emerging from a a new book that he had suffered “mini-strokes” hence his visit to a hospital last year.
The book, by New York Times reporter Michael Schmidt, reportedly claims that Trump “suffered a series of mini-strokes.” which led him to make an unplanned visit to the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Maryland in November 2019.
The book also alleges that Vice President Mike Pence was told to be ready to take over should the president need to undergo a procedure that required anesthesia.
Trump, 74, tweeted on Tuesday,September 1, denying the rumors.
“It never ends! Now they are trying to say that your favorite President, me, went to Walter Reed Medical Center, having suffered a series of mini-strokes,” he tweeted.
“Never happened to THIS candidate – FAKE NEWS. Perhaps they are referring to another candidate from another Party!” he added, taking a shot at Democratic nominee Joe Biden.
Physician to the President Sean Conley issued a statement shortly afterwards.
“I can confirm that President Trump has not experienced nor been evaluated for a cerebrovascular accident (stroke), transient ischemic attack (mini stroke), or any acute cardiovascular emergencies, as have been incorrectly reported by the media,” the statement says.
The writer of the book, titled, Donald Trump V The United States: Inside the Struggle to Stop a President, denied the president’s claims.
Schmidt tweeted shortly after Trump’s declarations that his “book says nothing about mini-strokes.”
Despite Trump’s denial and the statement from his doctor, the hashtags #TrumpStroke and #Trumpisnotwell have been trending on Twitter on Tuesday.