Mike Tyson to fight Roy Jones Jr in comeback exhibition fight

Boxing - Deontay Wilder v Tyson Fury - WBC Heavyweight Title - The Grand Garden Arena at MGM Grand, Las Vegas, United States - February 22, 2020 Former boxer Mike Tyson before the fight REUTERS/Steve Marcus

Mike Tyson is stepping back into the ring this year (Picture: REUTERS)

Mike Tyson is set to return to the boxing ring against fellow legend Roy Jones Jr in an eight-round exhibition match, according to reports.

54-year-old Tyson looks set to fight 51-year-old Jones in California, with TMZ reporting that it will take pace on 12 September, less than two months from now.

The California State Athletic Commission is set to sanction the bout between the youngest heavyweight champion in history and the former four-weight world champ.

While it will be a boxing match, the two veterans will not be going all-out to score a knockout, with Andy Foster, the executive director of the California State Athletic Commission, confirming it will be a relatively tame affair.

Advertisement

‘This isn’t a situation where they’re going out there to try to take each other’s heads off,’ Foster told Yahoo Sports. ‘They’re just going to be in there moving around the ring and letting fans see these legends.’

The eight-round exhibition bout will be broadcast via pay-per-view and on rising social media platform Triller.

The show is also set to feature a string of musical performances from the likes of Snoop, Lil Wayne, Future, The Weeknd, Pitbull, Marshmello, while Yahoo’s Kevin Iole reports that there will also be bouts between boxers and MMA fighters on the undercard.

2019 AIBA World Boxing Championships in Yekaterinburg, Russia

Roy Jones Jr last fought professionally in 2018 (Picture: Getty Images)

Tyson (50-6) has not fought professionally since June 2005 when he was stopped by Kevin McBride, while Jones Jr (66-9) has been active much more recently, winning his last pro bout in February 2018.

Jones had already said that he would accept a bout with Iron Mike should an offer be made, and it now appears that a deal has been done.

‘Yes, it’s true – Mike is a legend. It would be crazy to receive an offer to enter the ring with him and refuse,’ Jones told sports.ru.

‘I had no intention of going back and fighting again but, for the sake of Mike Tyson, I agree to make an exception. For me, this is an opportunity that I cannot refuse.

‘Of all those who wanted to go into the ring with him, he chose me. And since he did that, how can I say no?’

Tyson spent his entire pro career at heavyweight, while Jones Jr made his debut weighing just 157lbs.

However, Jones Jr did win a world title at heavyweight, becoming the first ever fighter to claim world honours at the unlimited weight class having also won a world title at middleweight.

Former super-middleweight and light-heavyweight world champion Andre Ward has claimed that a Tyson vs Jones Jr fight was mooted back in 2003.

‘There was a Tyson fight on the table and I believe I’m accurate when I say that it was somewhere around $40 million guaranteed,’ Ward told JRE Clips.

‘There was an upside too. You stay at heavyweight, keep the weight on, and Tyson wasn’t quite Tyson at that time. He was still dangerous but he wasn’t quite Tyson. I think they were working towards it. What I heard was Roy wanted more money.

‘Roy somehow said, “No, the fight will be there down the road,” and put his attention to Antonio Tarver, and the rest is history. I wanted to see him fight Tyson and ride off into the sunset. One more and you’re out.’

MORE: Mike Tyson shows off his brutal punching power in new training video

MORE: What Tyson Fury told Anthony Joshua during chance meeting in Marbella

Follow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

For more stories like this, check our sport page.

General Sport

Share your story or advertise with us: Whatsapp: +2347068686071, +2348053062268, Email: [email protected]