Job Vacancy: Job title: Safety/security coordinator (M/F) – Nigeria
Job description: For more than 40 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 30 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
MdM is currently implementing an emergency response program in Borno state (North East Nigeria) since 2016. The program is implemented around the main following components: improving access to primary health care, nutrition treatment (severe acute malnutrition), gender based violence survivors’ treatment, mental health and psychological support. MdM has its coordination office in Maiduguri and a sub office in Damboa.
MdM is running directly 3 clinics in Maiduguri : Garba Buzu, Kawarmaila et El Meskin. A field team has been in place since June 2017 in Damboa local government area (LGA) and is running two fixed clinics in two IDP camps but also for host population. In addition, MdM medical team is supporting 2 health posts (Ministry of Health) in Azir and Gumzuri villages.
MdM has also developed internal capacities to respond to new emergencies (mainly displacements of population as well as cholera outbreak).
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the responsibility of the general coordinator, you develop and implement the security plan, monitor and control the safety and security of people, goods and MdM programs. You improve contextual analysis, support operational management and strengthen the security capacities of the mission. You work closely with the safety and security advisor at HQ and with the logistics coordinator and the field coordinators of the mission. You manage directly the security liaison officer in Maiduguri and have functional link with the security liaison officer in Damboa.
Your main responsibilities are the following:
- Collect and analyze all security information
- Carry out a thorough analysis of the security situation in the current and potential areas of intervention
- Update the risk analysis
- Follow with logistics department all protection measures to be implemented on each location with a specific attention to Damboa and new locations
- Participate in the review of security procedures for the entire mission
- Ensure that the elements of the contingency plan are updated
- Support the logistics department in monitoring movements
- Constantly liaise with INSO as resource/support provider on security management
- Participate in the management of a security incident and follow up on the implementation of recommendations
- Centralize mission incident reports through SyRIL
- Support the relocation process, including implementation of the action plan
Team management and capacity building
- Ensure full safety and security briefing and debriefing with the newcomers and with each team member moving to Damboa and new locations
- Identify training needs and build capacity on security management for coordinators
- Manage and support your team and participate in the recruitment of new team members
- Carry out individual action plan and performance review
Reporting and representation
- Participate in the weekly MdM mission coordination meeting and in the humanitarian security meetings
- Make the link with security peers of other INGO and UN agencies
- Ensure and coordinate the writing of a weekly security analysis report
- Create detailed maps of the intervention areas with security specifications and past events
- Map the different actors, stakeholders and groups using software tools
- Work with the logistics department on defining the needs, installation and maintenance of telecommunication equipment
- Supervise that all the telecommunications means related to security management are running and properly used by all MdM staff
- Define the communication plan for each field office location to ensure the communication flow related to security works smoothly and timely from the entire communication chain
- Ensure training on radio, satellite phones and mobile applications for MdM staff
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Status : Employee
- Fixed-term contract
- Duration : 6 months
- Starting date: as soon as possible
- Based in Maiduguri, Nigeria with regular field visits
- Gross monthly salary: 2 860 euros
- Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments – minimum of 6 months seniority required
- Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
- Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
- Guesthouse housing
- 22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
- 5 weeks of paid leaves per year
- Health insurance (60% covered by MdM and 40% by the employee)
- Insurance (repatriation…)
- Teleworking agreement for positions eligible to telework: 110 days/year (minimum of 1 day per week onsite), minimum of 6 months seniority required
Given the current circumstances of Covid-19 pandemic, we are taking special measures to apply health protocols and hygiene measures to guarantee the safety of our staff.
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED:
- Study/training in security management is an asset (ie: HEAT training)
- Similar experience or a minimum of 3-5 years of experience working with international NGOs in high risk humanitarian contexts
- Familiary with the Nigerian context
- Use of tracking and mapping mobile applications
- VHF radio system setup and training of users
- ArcGIS QGIS or any other mapping tool
Languages : fluent in English. Arabic, Hausa and Fulani languages are an asset
You embrace the core values and support the proactive philosophy of Médecins du Monde.
TELEPHONE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
Médecins du Monde reserves the right to fill the vacancy before the closing date for applications.
MdM stands up for the integration of people living with disabilities and fights against discrimination.
Location: Maiduguri, Borno State
Job date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 23:53:16 GMT
Apply for the job now!