Job Vacancy: Job title: Field Security Assistant – (Field Only)
Job description: Job Description:
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
About CRS Nigeria
CRS has been supporting program activities in Nigeria for over 30 years and has long-standing relationships with Church and non-Church partners and communities throughout the country. The Nigeria country program has a diverse funding base with projects in health, nutrition, food security and agricultural livelihoods, microfinance (SILC), emergency response and peacebuilding. CRS/Nigeria currently has over 210 national and 8 international staff. With an FY22 annual budget of over USD $100 million, coupled with strong donor interest in supporting CRS’ work in the country, significant growth opportunities exist for the CP. The CP has been supporting emergency activities in the NE states since 2015 with offices in Damaturu, Maiduguri and Yola.
About project IMPROVED ALERTS
CRS seeks to continue working in Gubio, Kaga and Magumeri, leveraging the experiences and gains of CRII in targeting vulnerable HH to address the multi-faceted and inter-sectoral drivers of food insecurity and poor nutrition through the integration of food security, WASH, and nutrition interventions. This program will provide timely support to vulnerable HHs affected by the ongoing conflict in NE Nigeria that will save lives and restore dignity.
You will assist emergency programming field activities by working directly with local partners and community members in support of Catholic Relief Services’ (CRS) work to serve the poor and vulnerable. Your service and community interpersonal skills contribute to projects that benefit local communities that consistently applies best practices and continuously works towards improving its impact.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
Policies and Procedures:
- Be familiar with CRS’s Safety and Security procedures and policies and Safe and Sound Manual and support the Head of Office in ensuring they are always adhered to by staff.
- Work with the Security Coordinator and the Security Manager to implement, and regularly review operating procedures and security plans across Borno, Northeast Nigeria.
- Assist the Security Manager to provide training(s) that may include Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Contingency Plans (CPs), Security Management, Incident Reporting, Prevention and Response Mechanisms, Communications (including satellite phones), and risk/threat analysis.
- Provide thorough security briefings to CRS staff and visitors upon arrival in the State.
- Initiate, review, and collate security incident reports for each field site.
- Maintain, and regularly update the CRS State staff and visitors list, Security Communications Tree and SOPs as needed.
- Ensure the communication equipment always functions (HF radio, sat phone, internet, phone lines). Follow-up on any calls made by satellite phone and radio.
Staff and Vehicle Movement:
- In collaboration with the Travel Team, monitor movement and provide security guidance to international and national staff on the current situation in operational areas.
- Daily track and record all CRS field movement Borno. Maintain strong communication to report and record observations, information, and occurrences during staff movement.
- Serve as focal point with drivers during interstate movement by tracking the location of all vehicles and staff and communicate with CRS Security Focal Points in other states.
- Regularly conduct 30% field visits to assess field site compliance with safety and security procedure during field activities.
- Ensure vehicle and personal tracking systems are appropriate, fully resourced, and operational.
Monitoring and Analysis:
- Collect information regarding politics and security in Borno as well as on safety and security issues concerning CRS.
- Respond to security relevant incidents with information gathering and inform the Security Coordinator, Head of Office, and the Country Security Manger.
- Undertake continual assessments of equipment (including vehicles) and organizational assets to ensure that minimal conditions for security are met. Prevent loss and damage by reporting irregularities, informing violators of policy and procedures.
- Ensure that perimeter security staff (guards) have the capacities to perform their duties as per the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) with guidance from the Security coordinator.
- Under the guidance of the Security coordinator, conduct monthly health and safety inspections such as, but not limited to: fire extinguishers, smoke/fire detectors and inspection of CRS facilities
- Regular inventory and stock taking of hibernation kits, first aid kits, and vehicle safety kits; ensure that staff know what is in the kits and how and when to use them.
- Submit regular contextual updates (weekly/monthly situational reports) to the Head of Office through the Security Coordinator.
- Work closely with CRS field teams to ensure all incidents and accidents are followed up with an official written Incident Report, which is then shared with relevant stakeholders and filed appropriately.
- Take appropriate measures to secure CRS premises, personnel, assets, and properties by regularly monitoring and control of CRS existing security set-up.
- Check that Gubio and Maiduguri facilities and equipment conform to security norms (closures and doorways are in a good state, open spaces lit up, buildings identified, fire extinguishers present, electrical installations buried, etc.).
- Review lodging options for staff in Borno and in field locations, ensuring they meet CRS standard operating procedures.
- Maintain a wide professional and personal network of influential actors and clearly communicate CRS’s status and mission Borno NE, Nigeria.
- Build acceptance to facilitate continuity of current CRS programs and any future humanitarian or development programming by liaising with local communities, local authorities and other humanitarian actors and stakeholders within the state.
- Coordinate regularly with the Country Security Manger on safety and security issues and fulfill all reporting requirements to the Country Office in Abuja.
Required Languages – List languages required to perform the job
Travel – Must be willing and able to travel up to 60% to field locations in Borno State.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent analytical skills with ability to detect and report inconsistencies.
- Excellent organizational skills with great attention to detail
- Ethical conduct in accordance with recognized professional and organizational codes of ethics
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions oriented and results oriented.
- Ability to work collaboratively.
- Ability to plan and organize work and write clear and concise reports and communicate effectively (both in writing and verbally).
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Stable, moral, reliable, and robust character and a good team-player.
- Excellent communication skills, calm, with a good sense of humor.
- Proven commitment to accountability practices.
- Demonstrable training and capacity building experience.
Supervisory Responsibilities (none)
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Security Coordinator (Maiduguri), Security Manager (Abuja), Finance/Grants Assistant, Procurement Assistant, Head of Office Borno, Admin/Fleet, CRS programs staff.
External: Government, Ministries, departments and agencies, local and international NGOs, coordination platforms and working groups, community leaders
About Us: Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
Job date: Sat, 04 Nov 2023 07:14:29 GMT
Apply for the job now!