Job Vacancy: Job title: Assistant Technical Officer, Nutrition
Job description: Position Title: Assistant Technical Officer, Nutrition
Location: Banki, Borno State
Supervisor: Field Coordinator
Northeast Nigeria is currently facing a growing humanitarian crisis with a vast number of Internally Displaced Persons in need of emergency assistance. These IDPs are living among host communities, lacking access to livelihoods and resources, ultimately leading to unprecedented levels of malnutrition and food insecurity. FHI 360 has been working in Nigeria for over 30 years and responded to the humanitarian crisis in the NE for five years. In anticipation of a new project, and in support of ongoing ones, FHI360 seeks an experienced Assistant Technical Officer Nutrition to support our response to the humanitarian crisis in NE Nigeria.
Position is responsible for treatment of severe acute malnutrition (SAM) with and without complications, provide nutrition rehabilitation among admitted SAM cases and prevent further deterioration through provision of therapeutic feeds, routine, and specialized medicines. The incumbent will engage in and will work with other team members in the delivery of optimal infant and young child feeding in emergency.
She will oversee health and nutrition counseling, capacity building of CMAM and IYCF assistants.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Lead community outreach activities, mid upper arm circumference screening/Active case finding for malnutrition in children under-5.
- Provision of OTP services in target communities and Internally Displaced Persons camp. Conduct defaulter tracing, follow-up visits and deliver key messages at the OTP site.
- Oversee timely identification of complications, non-responder, and two-way referrals to the stabilization center (SC) based on set criteria.
- Develop Community Management of Acute Malnutrition (CMAM) workplan, produce trend of malnutrition based on admission, carry-out mortality audit at the OTP.
- Support M & E unit during assessments, focus group discussion including preparation and submission of timely reports.
- Ensure appropriate documentation of services and continuously monitor OTP performance and output indicators.
- Support effective management of SAM children with complications at the Stabilization Centre
- Ensure correct clinical diagnosis, comprehensive health checks and appropriate treatment according to protocols of the patients while in the program.
- Ensure all criteria are respected and understood, including admission, discharge, and transfer to and from the OTP/Stabilization Center (SC).
- Carry-out daily ward-round and develop 24-hour call-duty roster for CMAM-SC assistant.
- Take weekly and monthly physical inventory of all nutrition supplies ensuring stock levels are accounted for, ensure adequate availability of all medical and food supplies, and ensure stock is pre-positioned as planned by discussing with logistics.
- Oversee preparation of safe therapeutic milk and food for admitted SAM children and caregivers respectively.
- Work closely with CMAM Assistant’s at SC to ensure all protocols are understood and agreed and appropriate referrals take place to and from the Out-patient therapeutic program (OTP).
- Ensure comprehensive health checks, checking Vitals, frequent medicines and feed administration and treatment according to the protocols.
- Report on progress and any problems in a timely manner
- Update patients forms and file including the critical care pathway (CCP) card, OTP follow up cards among to ensure completion, accuracy, coherence and to track patient progress.
- Provide key health and education messages to beneficiaries base the protocol and guidelines.
- Compile the statistical data (admission, default, cured, absent, death) and draft a report on activities.
- Lead and coordinate the facilitation of community IYCF support group activities.
- Identify training needs and build technical capacity of IYCF Assistants, support group promoters, community nutrition mobilizers, and Lead persons.
- Direct skilled IYCF support services including Growth Promotion and Monitoring at IYCF corners/spaces and other contact points.
- Organize and participate in food demonstration sessions periodically.
- Conduct regular focus group discussions with beneficiaries to assess barriers to optimal IYCF uptake.
- Support the development of IYCF multimedia messages including radio jingles.
- Ensure Gender mainstreaming in nutrition, and integration of other sectors.
- Support the development of case studies and success stories from program implementation.
- Engage in community dialogue, sensitize stakeholders/community on IYCF-E activities and specific humanitarian programs implemented by FHI 360.
- Other duties as assigned.
- This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive, and the employee will also perform other related tasks as required and responsible for reporting and communication of progress and achievement of the specific assigned task.
- Inform FC of any professional problems encountered.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Ability and willingness to stay at the LGA is required.
- Excellent spoken and written Local and English languages.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Previous experience working in clinical setting is an asset.
- Ability to prepare weekly and monthly program reports.
- Be flexible and adaptable with regards to the implementation of the daily work
Qualifications and Requirements:
- B.Sc. in Nursing and other similar degrees with 1-3 years post NYSC relevant experience
- MBBS with 1year experience.
- Additional public health certificate or other closely related field certificates from a government – recognized institution is an added advantage.
- Familiarity with Nigerian public sector health systems and NGOs and CBOs is highly desirable.
- Experience working with a humanitarian organization is desirable.
- Qualified females are highly encouraged to apply
FHI 360 is committed to providing a safe environment for all employees, beneficiaries and anyone contracted by FHI 360. This Includes taking measures to protect vulnerable people from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (SEA) by either FHI 360 employees or associated personnel. FHI 360 abides by child safeguarding principles. FHI 360’s Safeguarding Policies apply and flow out to all FHI 360 staff, board members, volunteers, and partner staff (subcontractors, consultants, vendors, and subrecipients), regardless of the funding mechanism or amount of contract, agreement, or purchase order.
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 is an whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
Our values and commitments to safeguarding: FHI 360 is committed to preventing any type of abuse, exploitation and harassment in our work environments and programs, including sexual abuse, exploitation and harassment. FHI 360 takes steps to safeguard the welfare of everyone who engages with our organization and programs and requires that all personnel, including staff members and volunteers, share this commitment and sign our code of conduct. All offers of employment will be subject to appropriate screening checks, including reference, criminal record and terrorism finance checks. FHI 360 also participates in the Inter-Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme (MDS), facilitated by the Steering Committee for Humanitarian Response. In line with the MDS, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any substantiated findings of sexual abuse, exploitation and/or harassment during the applicant’s tenure with previous employers. By applying, job applicants confirm their understanding of these recruitment procedures and consent to these screening checks.
FHI 360 will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a , professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.
Job date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 02:13:17 GMT
Apply for the job now!