I’m A Celebrity 2021: Intruder removed after security breach at castle

Advertisement


Ant and Dec

ITV stressed the safety of the cast and crew of the show (Picture: ITV/Rex/Shutterstock)

An intruder who managed to reach the set of I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here! 2021 has been removed following a security breach at Gwrych Castle, ITV has confirmed.

Earlier this week, it was confirmed that Richard Madeley had been forced to quit the reality series after going to hospital with a sudden illness, later assuring that he feels ‘fit as a fiddle’.

However, that’s not the only drama the show has faced in recent days, as it’s understood that an intrusion occurred on set earlier this week.

It’s said that the incident took place before Friday’s live episode was axed due to the adverse weather conditions caused by Storm Arwen, with a pre-recorded instalment airing in its place.

A statement released by I’m A Celeb stressed that the individual in question was removed ‘with immediate effect’.

‘A security breach was identified and an intruder was removed from the location with immediate effect. The safety of both our celebrities and our production crew remains our primary concern,’ it said.

Advertisement

Richard Madeley on I'm A Celebrity

Richard Madeley was ‘gutted’ to leave the series early (Picture: ITV/Rex/Shutterstock)

The breach came shortly after a fan managed to drive through several security checkpoints on the set before the stars arrived, capturing photos and videos behind the scenes.

Following Friday night’s episode, hosts Ant McPartlin and Declan Donnelly expressed their hope that Saturday would see a return to the usual live format.

‘Thanks for your company on here tonight during #ImACeleb. Hopefully we’re back ‘live’ tomorrow, weather permitting. Please stay safe out there,’ Dec wrote in a tweet shared on their joint account.

Richard recently gave his first interview since his premature departure from the castle, saying he was ‘gutted’ to leave.

Speaking to Ant and Dec, the Good Morning Britain presenter: ‘I feel as fit as a fiddle and I am fit as a fiddle. And you know if it wasn’t for Covid I’d be back there eating rice and beans.

‘I had to leave… it’s a Covid situation. It’s still biting our bums isn’t it? What happened was, I had just a funny little turn quite sort of late in the morning.’

Explaining that ITV are ‘so good with duty of care’, he said that they were ‘adamant’ that they needed to check that Richard was okay.

‘So I went to the local hospital – I was only in there for about an hour and a half – I was given really thorough checks and I was given a completely clean bill of health, I’m absolutely fine. No matter what you might have read, I’m absolutely fine,’ he stated.

As Richard went to hospital, this meant that he broke the Covid ‘bubble’ the celebrities are in, meaning that he can’t return to the castle.

Metro.co.uk has contacted ITV for comment.

I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here! returns tonight at 9pm on ITV.

Got a story?

If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us [email protected], calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.


MORE : I’m A Celebrity 2021: Richard Madeley spotted for the first time since quitting show after hospital trip


MORE : I’m A Celebrity 2021: Adam Woodyatt given stark castle warning by EastEnders co-star Shane Richie

TV



Share your story or advertise with us: Whatsapp: +2347068686071, +2348053062268, Email: [email protected]