Dillian Whyte reveals agreement with Anthony Joshua over when rematch will happen

Whyte and Joshua met and discussed a huge rematch (Picture: Getty)

Dillian Whyte has revealed he and Anthony Joshua have already agreed a rematch once both fighters are back to ‘winning ways.’

‘The Body Snatcher’ suffered a devastating defeat to Tyson Fury at Wembley Stadium in April with his first crack at world title gold ending in disaster.

Whyte has already called for a rematch against Fury, whose future in the sport is uncertain after insisting he will now retire from boxing.

While he may not get his chance to avenge that defeat, a rematch with Joshua remains a compelling option.

Whyte and Joshua shared a blistering rivalry in 2015, culminating in a seventh-round knockout win for the Olympian. Joshua went onto fight for a world title shot in his next fight while Whyte was forced to fight his way back up into contention.

In a tweet posted on Wednesday night, Whyte revealed a seemingly chance encounter with Joshua where the two old rivals discussed a second fight.

Joshua’s immediate focus is on Oleksandr Usyk and his rematch to reclaim the IBF, WBO and WBA titles he lost to the undefeated Ukrainian last year.

But Whyte suggests a rematch could take place once he and Joshua have got back to winning ways.

Whyte has lost three times as a professional, also suffering defeat to Alexander Povetkin before avenging that loss in 2021.

While he suffered a major setback against Fury, the Brixton heavyweight is confident he will be back in the world title conversation soon.

‘Opportunities are still there. I’m still one of the best fighters around,’ he told Sky Sports.

‘Okay I’ve had a loss, I need one fight to come back, but it’s not the end of the world for me. My team are realists, and they’ll tell me straight you’re done. They would have told me, ‘Yeah, that’s it, you’re out.’

‘It’s a hard pill to swallow obviously. At the time, I felt disappointed, because I felt like I disappointed everyone, but now we’ve calmed down and we’ve had a think about it, I’m going to have a little break with my family and stuff, and then I’m ready to go again.

‘We don’t quit, we just keep going.’


MORE : Anthony Joshua convinced Tyson Fury will return ‘for the right fight’ despite promising to retire from the sport


MORE : Oleksandr Usyk reacts to Tyson Fury’s retirement announcement and sends warning to Anthony Joshua

For more stories like this, check our sport page.

Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on
Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
.

Boxing

Share your story or advertise with us: Whatsapp: +2348064721569, +2348053062268, Email: [email protected]


--Recommended Articles--