The Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, has apologised to the Senate President, Ahmad Lawan, over the outburst of the Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Festus Keyamo, regarding the recruitment of 774,000 Nigerians.
Keyamo clashed with lawmakers last week, while responding to questions about the exercise.
The lawmakers accused Keyamo of hijacking the programme from the National Directorate of Employment (NDE), but he fired back insisting they were the ones trying to take over the project.
The exercise was eventually put on hold, although Keyamo has maintained the lawmakers do not have the powers to do so.
However, speaking at a meeting with Lawan at the National Assembly on Tuesday, Ngige said Keyamo has prepared a position paper on how the programme would be implemented.
“We regret what has happened. I apologise on behalf of the ministry and I hope that the apology will be taken. I therefore ask that you forgive and forget and we start on a new page.
“My minister has put out a position paper. Nothing is sacrosanct there; we can still discuss,” Ngige said.